The Interlibrary Loan Committee and ILS Operations
Committee have reviewed how Horizon manages requests. To fill local requests
with locally owned items as often as possible, this is how libraries should
handle the Request Pull List:
- Open the Request Pull List Display the following fields: Title, Pickup, Call No., Collection, Comment, Specific, Request Date and anything else you wish to. Request date is not a potential display field in the test database, but it will be in the real database when we go live on 9/2.
- Sort, first by Request Date, and then by Pickup Location.
- Libraries should fill:
a. Everything that has their library designated as Pickup
b. Everything that has any other library as Pickup, with a request date other than the present day's date. In other words, if today is August 27th, in addition to all requests for their own location, libraries will only fill requests for other pickup locations with a request date of August 26th or before.
Benefits of this procedure:
- Libraries will be able to fill requests for items on their shelves before
other libraries fill them.
- Libraries will have the opportunity to display and review requests on the
Requests List that designate their library as Pickup and could (if they wish)
make decisions about permitting, editing, or possibly even deleting
- Patrons may receive items more quickly if available at their desired pickup location and unnecessary delivery of items will be minimized.